In developing this project, we use non commercial game engine of unreal engine, this is Unreal Development Kit.
This engine is game engine developed by Epic games, Firstly illustrated in 1998 with first-person shooter game Unreal and that is the basis of the next few games. Unreal Engine support for many platforms such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, IOS, Mac OS and many video game consoles Including the Dreamcast, Xbox, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3. Unreal Engine 3 is the latest release of the Unreal Engine. New Features of Unreal Engine are :
- Unreal Lightmass : global illumination solver
- Unreal Content Browser : viewer and asset manager
- Unreal Master Control Program : service – oriented architecture to build online facility in game.
This game engine has several modules.
- Physics Engine. This module is used to set the collision between two objects
- Input Manager. This module is used to manage inputs, such as the button is pressed, the button off
- Graphics Engine. This module controls what is displayed to the user’s screen. Like the objects what to front. Displaying the material as previously arranged. Up to regulate the lighting of the virtual environment is created.
- Sound Engine. This module set the sound effect of a virtual environment
- Network Infrastructure. Epic Games with Unreal Tournament game has succeeded in developing an efficient network gaming. Features an efficient network gaming is also available in the Unreal Engine.
- Unreal Script interpreter. One scripting language that can be used by programmers to regulate what is done by the engine, without touching the original source code. This script is similar to other well-known programming languages such as Java and C. Even the language is easier than 2 programming language that has been mentioned previously. Unreal Script Interpreter is a convert script created by developers into something that can be processed by the engine.
Unreal engine is also capable of handling some of the problems, able to handle digital media design, and also a quick, direct, and control over the three-dimensional design that is very nearly real than the previous engine.
Another reason to use Unreal Engine 3 is System requirements of computers are quite small. Unreal Engine 3 May 2010 requires minimum specifications:
- Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
- 2.0 GHz processor
- 2 GB of system RAM
- SM3-compatible video card
- 3 GB free hard drive space
Recommended specification for developers
- Windows Vista 64 SP2
- 2.0 GHz multi-core processors
- 8 GB of system RAM
- NVIDIA 8000 series or higher graphics card
- Plenty of HDD space
Unreal Engine also provides a tool to create a virtual world that is the Unreal Editor. This editor can also import from 3D tools are already widely used, such as 3D Studio Max.